Work Permit

Working in Europe | Work permit | Faroe Islands

Foreign citizens, except Nordic nationals, need a work and residence permit in order to work in the Faroe Islands.


If you are a citizen of a Nordic country, i.e. Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway or Sweden, no work permit is required to work in the Faroe Islands.

For stays longer than three months researchers and research candidates must have a residence and work permit. This also applies to EU citizens as the Faroe Islands are not a member of the European Union.

The Faroe Islands have a general rule of only granting residence and work permit to foreign nationals with qualifications that are not available in the Faroe Islands. This rule does not apply to researchers as their work is considered to be closely linked to their personal qualifications.

Researchers must have a written job contract or job offer from a Faroese research institution specifying salary and employment conditions when applying for a permit. Normally, the job must be at least 20 hours/week. Salary and employment conditions must correspond to Faroese standards.

Research candidates who have a Master´s degree can be granted a residence and work permit if they want to conduct research as part of their further education or career development at a Faroese research institute or company which provides the necessary facilities. Research candidates must be able to support themselves by their own means or through payment from research institutes or employers in their country of origin while staying in the Faroe Islands.

Researchers and research candidates can get permission to sideline work if the work is relevant to their main employment.



Applications for a residence and work permit in the Faroe Islands are processed by the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration on consultation with the Faroese Immigration Office.

The employer in the Faroe Islands begins the application process by completing his/her part of the application form and attaching the required documents. The employer sends the form and attached documents to the employee who completes his/her part of the form, attaches the required documents and submits the entire application.

Processing time for correctly completed applications for residence and work permit is normally within 3 months.

If the researcher wants to change employment to another research institution during his or her stay in the Faroe Islands, he or she must apply for a new residence and work permit before starting working with the new employer.

Find application for a residence and work permit in the Faroe Islands here: FO/AR1 



A special practice applies for issuing residence permits to physicians offered a position at a Faroese hospital who have a Danish authorisation.

The arrangement allows the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration to issue physicians a residence and work permit in the Faroe Islands without approval by the Faroese Government, provided requirements for the terms of employment, including salary and work conditions, are met.



Researchers who wish to extend their work and residence permit must submit a new application.

Find application for an extension of a residence and work permit in the Faroe Islands here: FO/AR2



A foreign resident in the Faroe Islands will lose his residence and work permit if he leaves the Faroe Islands for an extended period of time, or if he no longer maintains a residence in the Faroe Islands.


Read more:

Faroese Immigration Office

Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration