Living in Europe, Working in Europe | Entry conditions/visas | Faroe Islands

There are several practical issues and formalities that have to be considered and dealt with when planning to move to the Faroe Islands.


Driving licences issued in Norway, Iceland, EU countries or one of the countries with which EU has an agreement are valid in the Faroe Islands. Persons with a driving licence issued in one of these countries do not have to exchange their licence for a Faroese one but may do so if they wish without passing a new driving test. 

Persons with a driving licence issued in a country outside the EU and the Nordic region must exchange their driving licence for a Faroese driving licence within 14 days after arriving in the Faroe Islands if they intend to stay for more than 90 days. Before exchanging their licence, they must pass a new driving test.

Read more:

Faroese Vehicle Administration (in Faroese)