Entry conditions

Living in Europe | Entry conditions/visas | Faroe Islands

Depending on your citizenship, you may need an entry visa and/or residence permit when coming to the Faroe Islands for a short or a long term stay.


Citizens of Nordic countries, i.e. Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden, can enter the Faroe Islands without a passport. However, they must be able to identify themselves upon request. A driving licence is valid form of identification.

Citizens of Nordic countries are free to live, work and study in the Faroe Islands. Neither visa, residence permit nor work permit is required.

All non Nordic nationals, including citizens of EU countries, must have a valid passport in order to enter the Faroe Islands.


Citizens from several countries outside EU must obtain a tourist visa for travelling to the Faroe Islands for up to 3 months.

The Faroe Islands are not parties to the Schengen Agreement, and a visa to enter Denmark or another Schengen country is not valid for entry into the Faroe Islands.

If you need a visa to enter the Faroe Islands, you will most likely also need a Schengen visa, since most travel to the Faroe Islands goes through a Schengen country, such as Denmark.

Non Nordic nationals entering the Faroe Islands for a stay up to 3 months must have the required means for the stay and for the return journey.

Read more:

New to Denmark – the Faroe Islands and Greenland