Living in Europe, Working in Europe | Entry conditions/visas | Faroe Islands

There are several practical issues and formalities that have to be considered and dealt with when planning to move to the Faroe Islands.


A vehicle registered abroad can be used without registering in the Faroe Islands if the owner is planning to stay for less than one year. The vehicle may not be used by anyone residing in the Faroe Islands or for any commercial carriage.

The insurance must cover damages to the property of others. Insurance covering loss or damage to your own car is optional.

There are two insurance companies in the Faroe Islands:

Betri Trygging

Trygd (in Faroese)


Read more:

Tax and Customs Office

Faroese Vehicle Administration (in Faroese)